Thursday, October 30, 2008

Judgment

Lately I've been judging people. They have done things that make my life difficult so I declare them guilty as charged. And off they go to my mental prison, never to be trusted again, unless they can prove to me they won't make my life difficult. I forgive them and I will forget the hurt over time, but I will hopefully always remember their actions so they and others can't hurt me in that same manner again.

Is this the right thing to do? We all have to protect ourselves to a certain extent from those that mean to continually do us harm. I don't like to categorize, or write people off. I am never one who likes to judge, but I find myself putting people
behind bars. Is this healthy? I'm not one who likes to put up walls, but lately I feel like I own the largest construction company in the world.

1 comment:

WonderingFool said...

I think this is an honest statement. Is it possible to NOT judge? Start with the infinite data set that is our space/time. Narrow it to what you choose to comprehend: reality. Its like taking pictures in your car as you drive by at highway speeds. Quick judgment is essential and so is pre-judging *gasp*. The thought police have turned that statement into an open endorsement of racism when what it means in all honesty that stoves are hot- touch them at your own peril.

SO... what to do it. Good question. I suppose it comes down to realizing we're all more or less the same data set and we continuously evolve. It reminds me of being a kid and seeing the electric fence at my grandparents house. I'd bump into it and find that it was off, then touch it another time and find out it was on. I had a hard time making up my mind about it.

When you get right down to it its all about the individual. I bear the painful reminder now of hearing someone pay me a compliment ("You're so nice") of the scores of things I've done that were terrible. I suppose they lead you in the direction of nice, but it can't be much consolation to those who you've wronged.